The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

What's Your Biggest Challenge with Your Book?

I'd be interested to learn what authors/publishers on this network think their biggest challenges are with their book. I wonder if there's any common, pervasive challenge we all face.

Views: 9108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have used local speaking engagements to market my book as well as Web Radio. A few months ago I had nothing on my schedule and now I am keeping very busy with this and my full time dental practice.

I also keep a schedule on my website at http://www.joecapista.com/Calendar.htm

It helps that I love to present and do radio interviews.

Joe Capista, DDS
You may also find a warmer welcome as a "visiting author." A prophet is seldom recognized in his--or her--own country!
Isn't that the truth. I'll let you know how I make out when I return. Marlena, have you done signings in other states?
Alberta
Well, I do remember years ago, when my own local bookstore declined to carry the journal in which I was writing a regular column . . . I was thinking that I'm on the radio pretty often in Berlin--but I've never been on the radio in my new home town of Munich! (I confess I haven't really tried.) On the other hand, every time I walk down the street to the metro, I see a book display on the sidewalk of the series that includes my two language-learning novels. This always takes me by surprise (really--every time) and makes my day.
What a thrill that must be to see your books out there and in two languages! You have to be proud. I'd like the names of some newspapers in your area. Maybe I can put an ad into the paper. I want to do a lot of advertising out of the USA.
The newspapers in Munich are in German. You can look into placing an ad in the Sueddeutsche Zeitung, but you may be very surprised at the prices: www.sueddeutschezeitung.de. I assume your book is in English, so you may prefer English-speaking countries.
Hi Marlena,
Thank you. I'll look it up. Advertising is so expensive.
Alberta
Alberta, I think you are doing the right thing by taking your book--and most importantly, your message--directly to the people who need you. It's a significant way to bring together your reason for writing with your book marketing. They're not separate activities.
I never thought of it as marketing. I guess I always figure another site or person helps market your book. I go crazy trying to find sites to get it on.
Finding sites to help promote your book shouldn't be anything that drives you crazy. (Unless by "going crazy" you mean you're overwhelmed with options) To find blogs and podcasts to help promote your book, go to Technoratti.com and search for blogs that cover your topic. To find other web sites to help you, Google your topic. Another approach is to search other publishers web sites that promote books similar to yours. Check out their web sites for links into the sites and contact the web sites linking in.
I agree..knowing where to go is a major issue...at least for me...Any help in this dept would be greatly appreciated...carol
Hi Bill,
Thanks for the tips. I'll check on all of them. I'm over-whelmed by not knowing where to look for helpful sites. I was out today introducing myself to other bookstores to book sign for 2008. It'll all fall in place. I need to slow down. I'm so determined to get my second book out this year. It looks like it will become one with a sequel. That would mean that two books are close to being completed instead of one. Decisions on whether to look for a publisher, agent or self-publish.

I'm no different than all of you out there. When I look back to what I've accomplished in one year, I'm proud of myself. Beyond the normal book signing, my book is in five stores, I'm an instructor for Writing Workshops and I'm doing speeches with alcoholism. Is it selling and coming off the shelf, no, but it's a beginning. I believe it takes 2-4 years for an unknown author to get noticed. And what pushes it, determination!

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service