The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

What's Your Biggest Challenge with Your Book?

I'd be interested to learn what authors/publishers on this network think their biggest challenges are with their book. I wonder if there's any common, pervasive challenge we all face.

Views: 9098

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was lucky the manager of the store decided to keep all the books.
Hi, Thanks for the information.
Lightning Source is the Print on Demand (POD) arm of Ingram. In the author's contract with Lightning, the author must specify if the books are returnable or not. If they are returnable, the author must pay for them and either okay them to be destroyed or pay for the shipping to the author. I am concerned with getting a lot returned and having to pay for them for events like this.
Take care,
Kelly
Kelly...I am a big fan of Lightning Source. As an indie publisher, I find their array of services and options unbeatable. The first five years of being in the biz, I tried a number of different printing and distribution options, many with nightmarish results. Then I got a solicitation from LSI, and it looked good. They started with the basics and over the past 6 yers, I have watched them expand services and options every 3-4 months. I consider them my most valued business partner.

Billie Johnson
Oak Tree Press
Hi Billie,
I guess we all have good and bag experiences with companies. I had Ingram as my distributor and never heard of Lighting Source until now. No one asked if I wanted the books returnable. My publisher told me that "all" my books were if a bookstore ordered them through Ingram.
I'm lucky that over 30 books are at B&N in Orlando, Florida after a book signing because Lighting Source would not take them back. The manager, on the other hand, was not as happy.
Thanks
my biggest challenge is getting my book out there because i am a first time author?
Jazar—
What genre is your book? Who's the ideal reader? Who is the publisher? What steps are you already taking?
Hi Jazar,
It is hard for a first time author. Be seen and get into the public eye. Call your radio station and ask to be interviewed? It cost nothing. Call your local newspaper and ask them to interview you for an article in the paper. Call and ask for the book reviewer. Call on bookstores to book sign. Carry bookmarks and leave them all over, including at restaurants or sending out a bill to be paid. Get a web site up and running.
Frank is right on asking what kind of book it is. It can mean a lot to where you can go with it.
I'll wait to hear what you tell Frank.
A quick note about contacting newspaper and radio. Sometimes a phone call will work if you have breaking news, something that ties into breaking news and cannot wait. Otherwise, the normal procedure is to send a media release several weeks ahead of a newsworthy item such as a class you are giving, a launch that ties in to charity etc. The media does not care that you are another author and that you want attention. They want information or entertainment for their readers/listeners. Provide that, approach them like a pro and you should be able to score some coverage. Once you do so, as mentioned, you need to capitalize on it, post it on your own site, even on your page here or on another social network etc. to help build momentum.
Hi,
It takes a lot of persistence getting on some radio shows. It took me a good four months. It's worth it. You'll be new to the listeners but if you go on more frequently, they may remember you.
I'm writing a memoir about my daughter dying from alcoholism. People in the story have signed a paper for me to use their full names. Here's the problem..or question.
I didn't ask her husband if I could use his name. I do mention he drank, also. I'm not being cutting or degrading him, but, I do tell the truth to what I "saw" and was "told" by my daughter with their problems.
I did put the following on the second page of my book:

Disclaimer: Important Notice
The author of this book specifies that the content of this book is of her own perceptions only. The situations are given as examples to help other alcoholics and their families. The perception of events in this book may not have happened the same way in the eyes and minds of those people mentioned. No harm, embarrassment, slander or any other form of malice is intended. Some names have been changed to protect the privacy of individuals.

Is this enough to protect me from him coming back to sue me? My husband say, "If you are telling the truth, it's okay." Is it? Without being honest with the events, there's no story to be told.

It's at the editors hands and I wanted to ask this. I'd appreciate any help from all of you. Has anyone been in this situation with memoirs?
I know i have a great book, probably the next harry potter, but How to get buyers and new york times paper. for a book ad it's 87,000 yes 87,000 Is tere anything that is free or low budget. I don't think edgar allen poe had this problem. ha ha ha
my biggest challenge is editing my work before I send to publisher. I have written many but not published because the first draft is where I am stuck. Also I don't put in enough dialogue

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service