The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

What's Your Biggest Challenge with Your Book?

I'd be interested to learn what authors/publishers on this network think their biggest challenges are with their book. I wonder if there's any common, pervasive challenge we all face.

Views: 9108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the good info . There's just one important thing that I failed to mention.
I'm living in Germany. That's my biggest problem with radio, TV, or other personal appearances. I had an interview with a Germany newspaper and it was a big splash, however since my book is not translated into German, it didn't do much except give me some local notoriety. I sold some books privately but that is small change.
I did a book signing in my hometown of York, PA. Also got an interview with the York Daily Record and sold books through the Border's book store. But with my second novel, traveling to York to do a book signing with limited sales, does not add up financially.
I'm seeking other avenues where a personal appearance is not required. Of course if Larry King calls, I'll be on the next plane.
Understand my problem?
Abe,
Radio stations can do an interview with you at home. Ask them that when you call on ones out of your country.
I meant by telephone
What a great idea, i will try to do this in my market!
Dear Abe,

I'm in Germany, too! I live in Munich. Perhaps you have seen a display of the Lernkrimi series, which includes two of my English language-learning mysteries: "Skyline Syndicate" and "Death in Grand Canyon."

The attached photo shows the current display at the Munich university bookstore. The publisher supplied these display materials, which I have also seen at the Munich airport.

The publisher arranged for an actor to read a section of "Skyline-Syndikat"--in English on the "multiculturalism" program of a radio station in Hamburg. As Alberta suggests, we gave away books as part of a short quiz on the show.

Try researching English-language radio programs in Germany.

All the best,

Marlena
Attachments:
Marlena,
sorry for the delay in responding to your post. It appears that you are well connected and making progress, and I congratulate you.
You are fortunate to have publisher support. That was the biggest problem with my first book, "To Beirut and Back." No publisher support. I landed an interview with "Die Rheinpfalz - Kreis Suedliche Weinstrasse." Lots of people were interested in my book but couldn't read English - said they would wait for the German translation. That was not about to happen. I tried to get it into a local bookstore but, being in English, they were not interested.
With my second novel, "They Plotted Revenge Against America," I'm devoting my efforts to promotion in the Middle East and in America. Once a track record is established, perhaps I can encourage a Germany publisher to do a translation.
Your suggestions are appreciated.
Abe, is there a Hugendubel bookstore near you? They carry English books. I know it's a long shot, and I think I heard that they only carry books they can order from one of the major distributors (libri is one such). This means you would back up a step and find out how to get a distributor to carry the book, so that Hugendubel can order it.

2. Which smaller bookstores near you carry English language books?

3. Another prospect is the Volkshochschule. Teachers there choose their own books. Check the VHS catalogue and contact teachers.

4. Offer to teach a course at the Volkshochschule ;) It pays little, but you will meet people--and you can include your own book on the syllabus. Be fair, though! You might want to put together a list of books that would provide an overview of a topic concerning the Middle East. In order to teach in English, you may have to propose a topic that fits in with the offerings of the English Department. I don't think this is out of the question, as people might want to learn to converse reasonably about politics in English.

Sorry about the delay in responding. I've been traveling during the lull in the yearly cycle of my business. I advise people who are interested in studying in the United States.
Marlena,
No, there isn't a Hugendubel store near me. I live near Landau in die Pfalz.
I checked their website and send an email inquiry to their Frankfurt store.

Your other suggestions have merit and I will check that out as well.
Thanks
Bayern und Pfalz--Gott erhalt's. I will be wishing you good luck.
We have a agreat novel, that plays out in the middle east, and has professional motorsports as its backdrop. i would love to find out more about your book. i think that people who follow current affairs will enjoy reading Race To Damascus since it is an accurate look at motorosports (behind the scenes) and an exciting adventure!
My biggest challenge is marketing as well as making the time to market/promote.
Hi Darlene,
First, know that you aren't alone. Marketing takes a lot of time pretty much no matter what you're selling. I suggest you pick one strategy, learn it, do it a few minutes a day for at least a couple of weeks, then continue if things are going well or possibly add another strategy after that. For example, if you want to try social networking, open a Facebook or Twitter account, take a few minutes each day to learn/implement, utilize it. By keeping your task list short, you won't be overwhelmed and you'll be able to budget your time more easily.

Cheryl Pickett
www.publishinganswers.com

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service