The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

I just signed a contract with a self-publishing company formy first book, a children's picture story book - 48 pages. The PH said it was going to cost them 10.83 just to print the 8.5X11 lamenated bound book. Their suggested price is 23.95. I feel that is high compared to what is in book stores. Any suggestions on pricing? What is the average percentage that bookstores require on a book? I did buy a returnable policy and did a POD on the book. I do have the option to print the book at other places included.

Views: 73

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for your letter Rita.

I wanted you to know that I did go the self-publishing route. I think that this book being a colorful picture story book that it made the author cost go up including tax, S&H to almost $12 made for a slow start for me. And to think I have written 10 other children's books that need to be illustrated.
My web site is www.lindawagerbooks.com

The only thing that I have said about God in my book:

God wanted Flatterley to learn how to thrive,
So He gave her instincts on how to survive

God knew if a butterfly she wanted to be
She must break that cocoon that hung in that tree

This was in reference to a bird coming along and leaving the cocoon alone because Lady Flatterley needed to learn how to come out on her own. Then at the end when Lady Flatterley has built her cocoon and she comes out being this beautiful butterfly, she pauses:

Flatterley looked up to thank God above,
For His creation of her she most surely did love

Now you have seen how butterflies are made,
Caterpillar to cocoon then to butterfly, tis God's loving way.

I didn't feel I was being overly promoting God in the book.

Yes, I am up in the ratings under Christian Children's Books. I do have a web site and I have lowered my price on the book $8 from what the publishing company is asking. I have the option of selling the book on my own for any price I want and also having it printed elsewhere. This is written in my contract. So the PH is asking 22.95 and I am asking 14.99. It's just getting people directed to my web site. I have even sent out emails telling about my book and asking them to pass it on to their contacts and then to other contacts just like many emails go. It's like a forwarding email.

I was just taken back my a librarian’s response to me coming in and talking to people about publishing a book and she was worried that I may want to promote God and that isn't allowed. I understand that, and that isn't where I am. The book to me says it all. I don't need to get up in front of people and say what the book already says.

I will mention to my web page designer to see if putting this in e-book format that this may be a way to get it bought. I just thought people would like to have it in their hands. But even with e-books, you can download them and print them out yourself. It just isn't in a book.

I forgot to mention that with the PH, my royalty after the 50-55% trade discount is $1.24. That was as low as I could get it without owing them money.

Linda
You are a wealth of knowledge Rita. Scholastic has a good name. Kudos’s to you girl. When you mention about publishers in New York, do you mean that I should send them a copy of my book as a reference? I guess it would as a reference and them to look at my web site for other ideas of books. What about other publishing companies. See most of them all like to have agents approach them and not you. Some of the books I have that I have searched through will allow you to submit to them. They are more the traditional publishing, but they are up front when they say it takes 18 months even to 3 years to get a book published. Man to be so popular!!!

I am such a green tomato at this it isn't funny. They didn't teach us any of this in nursing school. Ha!

I have heard of Publish America before also. Maybe I need to start writing more like stories, chapter books for children versus picture storybooks. What a challenge this is for me.

Outskirts that did my publishing uses Lightning Source. They do a good job. My first run was a flop and had to be returned because of printing error, but the second run was fantastic. I have only found one book that they left out a couple of pages. Makes me wonder sometimes how many others this happens to so I have been checking each book.

Girl, I am learning so much from you. Thanks for taking the time to share with me.

Linda

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service