The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

What's the most historic event (other than 9/11 attacks)?

The most tense event I can remember was the stand-off between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. in October 1962. When the U.S. Navy blocked Soviet ships attempting to deliver missiles and equipment to Cuba, many thought Khruschev would launch a nuclear holicaust. With no internet or satellite radio to transmit developments, people clustered around any available radio in stores and street corners everywhere during 2-3 very tense days until the Soviet ships backed down. Anyone remember those days?

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The beginning of the Gulf War in 1991 was pretty intense. The media was trembling in fear that Saddam Husein's "Elite Republican Guard" would destroy American troops. Guess what, the war lasted 100 hours and the Iraqi's got slaughtered.
I think Pearl Harbor was such a tense time, however, Americans reacted differently to 9/11 than they did to Pearl Harbor. Different times and different generations seem to have varied opinions on what to do when the U.S. is attacked. It's strange how mankind and civilization evolves through war. I don't think 9/11 was as an intense a reaction as prior attacks because there was no draft in place, and the general population didn't feel the event would necessarily affect them. Whereas with other prior attacks, every family knew their men were going off to war. It seems there's been a big disconnect in the events of 9/11 and many Americans.
One of the most unforgettable ones for me would be when the Challenger space shuttle blew up. I was in elementary school and when it happened they showed it on television. It was like the entire world stood still. I will never forget how shocked I was. It was a feeling I couldn't explain. I assume that's how it felt for people who were alive when Kennedy and Martin Luther King were killed. My parents would have to speak on that though.

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service