The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

Hi, my name is Mavis J. Romer...I'm rather new to the publishing field. I'm in the process of writing my first book, and would really love to get feedback on the self-publishing tip(s). I've heard quite a bit on this subject, but not enough for me to feel comfortable in choosing it over any other process to get started. What can be told to me that I should know first and foremost?

Views: 76

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Mavis and welcome to this Network! I guess the biggest question to ask yourself is: 'do you want to maintain control over your work' or 'do you want to loose control over your work'. That will determine which route you decide to go. More and more authors are opting for self-publishing for a number of reasons and the biggest is to maintain all rights and control -- As a designer, I have worked on both sides: for big publishing houses and for the individual self-publishing author. I can tell you this, Mavis, in larger publishing houses manuscripts often lie in offices for years sight unseen unless there is a potential for a 'big money maker' and for the lucky few who are chosen to be published, a small percentage (money) of the book is actually given to the author -- Also, authors loose their rights for editorial re-writes, design and 'branding' -- Most importantly, a publisher WILL NOT market your book strongly; the bulk of the 'blood, sweat and tears' marketing is left to the author -- This is something you must do research on, ask questions and absolutely soul search within yourself asking yourself, 'how much are you willing to do' for your 'baby' (your book). I hope this helped a bit and I wish you the very best!
Hi Mavis,

My name is Sean and I'm from Singapore. I have just self-published my first book called the "4 Steps To Financial Freedom".
Here are the answers to some of your questions.

What is Self-Publishing?

Self-publishing is a form of publishing whereby the author undertakes the cost of production of his/her book.

The author engages the services of a publishing consultant, who will oversee the entire publishing process from the editorial stage, design and layout to printing.

You would consider self-publishing if you are:

a writer looking forward to publish your book.

a consultant or trainer who wishes to share your knowledge and expertise with your clients and/or your trainees.

a member of a corporation who wishes to publish a corporate commemorative book or a publication for your employees.

part of an organization that is thinking of producing a publication without knowing how or where to start.

Why Self-Publishing?

Total Control

You have control over your book in terms of creative presentation, profit, selling price, publishing and reprinting rights, as well as distribution.

No Restriction of Rights

You retain the rights to publish your book with other publishers, get your book translated, or even sell your rights to film makers.

No Rejection

Many people have chosen to self-publish their books as a solution to being rejected by publishing houses that are unwilling to publish their material.

Faster Results

Your book will be out within 90 days. Major publishing houses take at least a year or more to read manuscripts, respond and print.

High Profits

Earn 100% of the profits from your book sales, not the standard 8-10% royalty rate that most publishers pay.

Personal Fulfillment

See your work in print and fulfill your dream of becoming a published author.

Self-Promoting Publicity Tool

As a published author, you gain instant visibility when your book is displayed in bookstores, reviewed by the media, or distributed among business associates, staff, students or the general public.

Open Doors to Opportunities

Let the book open up new business opportunities, win new customers and increase your business profits.

Well, I hope all these answers will be useful for you to decide if you would like to self-publish your new book. Thanks and catch up.
Hi Mavis,

The most important thing is to find an editor and/or a coach, somebody to give you feedback, to bounce ideas off. You want your manuscript in the best possible shape whether you submit it to an agent or decide to self-publish via Lulu (no up-front fees) or some other publisher.
Whichever you choose you'll have to do your own marketing.
The next most important step is to find a professional to do your cover, and maybe even design the rest of your book if you're not comfortable with doing layout work (whatever you do, don't go the Word route).
Good luck with your book!
The major disadvantage to self-publishing is this: Poor bookstore distribution. If you can live with that, the rest of the work in self-publishing can equal or surpass what a big publisher can do -- as long as you are capable or hire others who are capable at editing, proofreading, book design, typesetting, publicity, marketing, etc.
Curt/Others,
What is the problem with using Word? What should you use instead?

Thanks in advance!
David McLaughlin
http://www.davidbmclaughlin.com
http://fortyblog.blogspot.com
First off, know that most books are not picked up by publishers no matter how good they may be. Self-Publishing puts the money directly in your pocket and under your control instead of getting measly bread crumbs from your publisher.
Self-Publishing is a great way for you to get noticed by publishers too. Remember Chicken Soup for the Soul? Yep, self-published. SP is quicker to market as well. If you go through a publisher, you must send out proposal packages to each of them and wait for their responses; then if they accept it, it will be about a year before it is published and on the street. Further, they require you to come with your own marketing plan and list.
Run to B&N or Borders and pick up The Well-Fed Self-Publisher by Peter Bowerman. You'll get familiar with all the pros and cons quickly and easily understand how to do everything. While Peter gives you everything you need to know and then some, there are also more options depending on the book, target audience and how you wish to sell it. Best wishes on your success!
Hi Mavis,

I am new to the whole publishing thing as well. I have written a short story that was published in a collection of Breast Cancer stories (Cup of Comfort for Breast Cancer Survivor). No real money for me but it was a start to gettng published. I now have a poem being published in Whispers on the Wind to come out in Jan 2010. Again no money for me...but...published once again.
My biggest endeavor is my children's picture book. I submitted it to a publisher who has taken it on. It is a subsidy publisher who will be illustrating it and doing the setup and cover etc. with me. I have to make all the final decisions and be happy with their work which I like. I do not have the skills to do all of that..so went this route. Yes...the whole process is to take a year...but I am not in a hurry at all. I just want to see my story in book form...
I am retired and am not doing this for any kind of income. From what I have learned ... an author has to be prepared to spend money if he/she wants to get published. And if it happens we have to be prepared to put in lots of work in marketing no matter which way you go..
Being retired will make it easy for me to put time into getting my book out...which I plan on doing.
Good luck with your book. I think it is just all very exciting . Let us all know when it is out there.
Mavis,

You asked a question over 2 years ago about self publishing. I am curious as to whether you continued to write your book. If so, what route did you take....self publishing or not.

Donald
Donald that's something to think about because if she did self-publish and no one's heard of her book then that's a big sign right there. The sad truth is a lot of self-published books die in the water, unheard of simply because the author didn't understand the process of real publishing and what it takes to sell books to begin with.

Best Wishes!
Ms. Mavis -

In my small opinion, you can do no better than start by reading everything you can get your hands on by; Peter Bowman, Mark Levine, Dan Poynter, John Kremer. Get a highlighter & notepad and use them liberally.

This tiny investment of cash & time, will not only give you the tools you'll need to make the first decision. It will go a long way toward keeping you on track as you proceed through the process.

No need to re-invent the wheel. Let smart folks who've been there, guide you along.

Best of luck,
I believe Mavis has long abandoned this thread so I am posting my thoughts for anyone else who might not know what steps they want to take yet.

Before you decide on self-publishing, do some extensive research on it. If I were you I'd read every article, every author's experience, etc. Do not rely on anyone else to give you proper information. I know a lot of self-published authors who self-published because someone told them it was "easier", "better", or "the next best thing". Now those authors are in debt, some have left writing altogether, and most have boxes of books sitting in their garage or closet that they couldn't give away for free.

Most people who are thinking of self-publishing look at it like they're having full control. Oh you are, all right. But is this a good thing? You want to have the burden of promoting the book, editing the book, printing copies of the book, dealing with booksellers (that won't stock your books anyway), dealing with the business hassles and all the other stuff that traditional publishers do for free? If you want all that on your shoulders then, that's your choice. Some people act like picking a cover and printing the book is all an SP author has to worry about. What about all the junk that goes inbetween? If things go wrong between transactions with booksellers concerning book signings or with distributors, it's going to be your fault alone. And you won't have a team of employees working together to ensure your best interest.

Do not believe self-publishing is an easy way to get in the door. It's not. It doesn't get you in the door, rarely does this happen. Some people have been successful but if you know anything about them, they were folks who could afford to promote their books in a big way. They either already had money (or a good chunk saved up), they worked for or either with PR firms and had extensive marketing expertise (MJ Rose used her expertise as a promotor and that's how she got her books sold). A lot of the successful SP authors could promote their books because a lot of them didn't have jobs to worry about. Like I mentioned, most had money or someone supporting them and they could travel and put 110% in promoting that book. But can the average author do that? If you have a daily job, kids, spouse and other duties, it's going to be ten times more difficult for you to promote a self-published book. At least a publisher does pre-promotional marketing that helps books (self-published authors never do pre-promotion). Most SP authors self-publish and do not promote or either do not understand how to promote. If you decide to SP, realize that the average writer is not going to be one of those exceptions.

I tell anyone to take their time, learn and work on their craft. Don't rush into it. A lot of new writers rush into things these days. Learn how to write a great book that agents and publishers want. That seems to be why most folks self-publish anyway, so why not just go traditional since it's the best option for a person. Especially if they write fiction.

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service