The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

Pre-Selling, ISBN #'s, Reviewers, Copyrights, and more???

This may be a long question, but please hang in there with me.

I know that reviewers, Barnes and Noble, and such won’t take a book unless it has an ISBN number. And the only way you can get one is through a publisher. So after reading Dan Poynter’s book, The Self-Publishing Manual, I started my own publishing company last year called Weaving Dreams Publishing in order to get an ISBN number and my book published. I know that reviewers want a 4 month lead for the publishing date from the time you actually have the printed book in hand. You can’t get the printed book in hand until you have the ISBN number. Now that creates a problem for me as I don’t have the money for the ISBN number. This brings up a couple of questions that may be facing others.

I have been told it is possible to pre-sell a book from the time of the printing to the actual publishing date as long as you put a pre-publication edition notice on the book. That is fine. Which brings me to my first question.

Can you pre-sell your book with a set publication date in order to get the money for the ISBN number so that you can print the book, distribute it to who pre-bought it, and get it out to the reviewers?
OR
Can you pre-sell your book with a set publication date, print it, and then distribute it to those who bought it and then get an ISBN number for it and reprint it for normal distribution? And how would this affect copyright?
OR
Can you pre-sell your book with a set publication date, print it, and distribute it to those who bought it and then revise your book in some way to get an ISBN number for the revised book to print for normal distribution? And how would this affect copyright? And does this mean then you have two books out?

I have a list of people who want to buy my book and keep asking me when they can. I keep telling them I am waiting to get the ISBN number. So I guess the main question is how to get the book to those who want it, stay within the realm of ISBN numbers and copyrights, and do it all before December of this year? That makes 4 questions.

Thank you to all of you who have read this long post and hope someone or several someone’s can help me!

Blessings and Thanks!!!!
Susie

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hi Susie,
Pre-publication orders work very well for Caged Heart Publishing, but I am wondering why you aren't considering going with an established publisher who already has ISBNs and distributor alliances?
Several reasons but the main one is that my spirit tells me I am suppose to do all of this book, not just the writing. I guess I am suppose to learn this from the ground up, and that is what I am doing the very hard way. Once I get this one under my belt I will follow 'normal' protocol.

Another reason is that I have no agent to get into a top name publisher, and I am afraid to chose one because I am a Murphy's Law person and if there is a bad agent out there I will find him/her. I have checked out POD and vanity presses and they are not for me. I could do those myself. I would LOVE to have the responsibility taken off my shoulders. My book is to the point that all I need is the ISBN number to go to print. Well, that and the Library catalog card number. And I have been holding off on that until I apply for the ISBN number. I have a cover all done by a fabulous cover designer. It has been totally edited. I have 2 endorsements from very prominent authors in my own field and a foreword by another one. I have a printer who is working with me on the format to give to him. So the only thing holding me back is that dang number. *smile* So I am trying to find creative ways to get my book published. While all of this is going on I am working on a couple of other books as well. Any suggestions or comments or help in any way is appreciated! I believe that I am going through this so that later on I may be able to help others who are attempting the same thing I am.
According to everything I have read they only sell in blocks. And I will be able to use the other isbn numbers for ebooks, and the other books I am writing so it wouldn't be a loss. I have no idea how to get just one. I was looking at a block of 10.
Dear Susie:

Want to become a Canadian publishing company? I won't spell out how to do this but it's the standard address and telephone number. ISBN numbers and CIP's are all free up here. Seriously. But I would still send your copyright to the U.S. one as that's best.
Well, Jack this network for two days hasn't let me email you or send a friend invitation, so guess I will have to respond to you this way.

I went to the site and printed out quite a bit of information. I had my husband read it and he too felt that this is the way to go. I just felt "right". Thank you for responding to my query and taking the time to post the link! I think I am on my way again. These 'pit' stops suck! hahaha
Thank you, Robyn for the info. I am not familiar with things in your country, and want to get this part of the process over with.

Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge with me and to try to help me at this juncture!

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service