The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

My books are usually release at end of each year like Oct., Nov., and Dec. By Jan.1, some readers may think the book is one year old. When it's not. I want to get the dates pushed up to the beginning of each year. It may count for more sales.

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good call George. From what I have heard, the best times for book releases are in the spring (for summer reading) or fall (for the X-mas season). Since most self-publishers or small press publishers can't compete with the big presses, they tend to shoot for spring more than fall in release dates. However, this is only if you are competing in the big genre's (romance, mystery, fiction, etc.). If your book is more niche oriented, I don't think it matters nearly as much as the overall design, marketing, etc. We do book releases primarily in August/September and March/April as this gives us some lead time to hit each major book sales period.

Peter

Can someone please explain to me why the "age" of a book is so darned important? Who among us will not read a book that came out last year or even six months ago? It's not like people only buy and read books seasonally. I think it's just another marketing gimmick. Comments anyone?
Rita,

Yes, it is largely a marketing gimmick, but it also is not. How many books are really timeless? Not many if you think about it. Sure, a couple months this way or that does not make the biggest difference in terms of a books topic (most often), but that is not the only consideration behind release dates. Sadly, most people buy books in two seasons: X-mas and Summer (most bookstores make somewhere around 45% or more of their yearly sales during the X-mas season). Yes, they buy books all year, but the major sales season for books are these. So over time, that is just where publishers have focused their efforts, and subsequently, their release dates. If you are writing a niche book, then it really does not matter much. But if you are writing a novel, and want to even attempt to compete with the "big boys" in terms of getting reviews, publicity, etc. then you are in for a long fight. Another strategy is to release your book in the "off season" so that reviewers, publicists, marketers, etc. might have time to notice your book. Just an example, Kirkus, which is a major book review/buyer trade press gets on the order of several thousand (I think I read it was like 200,000) books to review each year. The majority of those are in the fall and spring. Pretty hard to compete with that.

Peter

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service