The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

http://criminal-justice-online.blogspot.com/2007/10/love-caught-speeding.html

Something I wrote for my wife.

Rick

Views: 33

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I once had a reoccurring dream. I dreamt I crouched in a cold and wet foxhole, my rifle at the ready. Across an expanse of open ground a lone soldier advanced toward my location, his bayoneted rifle held also at the ready. I took careful aim and fired, only to see the bullet strike the dirt in front of him. I fired repeatedly, each time watching in horror as he continued to advance, my bullets falling harmlessly to the earth before reaching him. At last he stood over me, my gun empty. I cringed in the confined hole as he plunged the gleaming bayonet downward. I felt the cold hard steel break through my collar bone and separate bone, cartilage, muscle and soft tissue before reaching my heart.

Darkness set in; I awoke. The following nights the dream came back. A few weeks later I was drafted into the US Army.

That was 1969. I never went to Vietnam. I was fortunate enough to get sent to the Panama Canal Zone.

A few years later I had another reoccurring dream. This time I was a police officer, walking a beat. As I walked in front of some businesses two men approached me. Both wore long dark trenchcoats. When they got to within a few feet of me, one pulled a sawed-off-shotgun from under his coat, leveled it at my face and pulled the trigger.

Darkness set in; I awoke in a sweat. This happened night after night.

A few weeks later I started the police academy. That was in 1980. I spent the next twenty years working uniformed patrol. While I met knives, guns, clubs and fists, I remain whole today; with many wonderful grandchildren. I also have numerous short stories and two books out.

The closest I came to dying was in 2000 from throat cancer. I was given no more than five years to live. Here it is, 2008 and this old fart keeps going on.

Richard Neal Huffman - author of, Dreams In Blue: The Real Police.

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service