The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

I'd like to start a new forum where people can talk about what's working for you right now in marketing your book.

I think this will help other authors to prioritize their activities if they can find out what's working for other people. This would be especially valuable to new authors.

I've share the hottest tool that I'm using right now. And that's Twitter. As you will note on the main page of this Book Marketing Network website, both my http://www.bookmarket.com website and this network have been rising in Alexa ranks (and visits) because of my use of Twitter.

Views: 8350

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Even before I began writing my book, I started defining my market and have been participating in niche blogs that are related since. I started that a year ago, wrote my book 9 months ago, published it 6 months ago, and this week I finally got a link to one of my potential best customers, the MRKH organization.  It felt awesome and it happened entirely from me building up a relationship over time, and becoming a trusted source for information. Thanks for the advice!  K

Congratulations Kay!  Know that must be a great feeling!

db

That's great Kay! Those are the type things that an author can do so much more effectively than a publisher - the personal stuff. A publisher can send out a generic e-mail blast, but an author can take the time to personalize e-mails to popular blogs and organizations and build relationships. I think your approach will keep paying off! Congratulations!

A caution about Outskirts Press. I am working now with Createspace. The satff at Createspace is responsive, creative, cooperative and congenial. My book will pubishthrough them at $13.99 a copy. My royalties will double through brick and motar stors and increse 20 fold on internet sales. The cover has been improved dramatically.

I challenged Outskirts very early in my working them, saying that $18.95 was too high for a 328 page paperback. My concerns as a novice were simply dismissed. When I found that I would make only $.36 a copy regardless of where the book sold, I appealed. OUTSKIRTS DID NOT EVEN RESPOND TO MY REQUEST. I found them rigid in their policies and inconsiderate.

I thought this blog post would be topical for those of us following this discussion thread.

http://wp.me/p1n1Td-c4

Would love to have any feedback, and thanks!

db

NIce post.  Still, there are times I wish for the old days of publishers grooming authors and handling the promotion and marketing aspects and just let me write!

Went to a networking meeting last night dealing with SEO - search engine optimization. Oh, was my head swimming when finished!! I told my husband, just let me write, you take care of this.  I find myself spending more time on the networking and socializing promotional work than writing my books! That really shouldn't be for 'writers'! After all, the title write/author says what we do best.

Wow, Shawn, did you describe my actions lately.  I'm so busy keeping my website and blog updated, that I've lost time with writing.  I have to rethink what I'm doing.
Exactly. I actually 'feel' better when I cut down my marketing activity and just write. The rest of the day Friday I had to decompress and I wrote just under 5,000 words! I was in my element!

thanks shawn!

SEO is a mysterious art.  I suspect yours isn't the first head to swim in the subject.

SEO is a puzzle to me, but web sites and emails are not. Since my book 'Being a Senior Citizen' was release about 10 days ago I have been marketing marketing marketing. I few days I stopped and said to myself...I am first a writer. Since then I have opened my mind and written 3 article. I feel fulfilled.

I write scifi sundays with the hipriestess 5 cent tales and I'm getting thousands of people to read my flash fiction, http://hipriestess.com/blog

Here's a topic that keeps coming up:  The 99-Cent eBook.  I know it's a hot topic, and I wrote this blog as a jump start for a more comprehensive article.  Your feedback will help me write, and I know people here will have strong feelings.  Please share!

http://wp.me/p1n1Td-ct

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service