The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

I'd like to start a new forum where people can talk about what's working for you right now in marketing your book.

I think this will help other authors to prioritize their activities if they can find out what's working for other people. This would be especially valuable to new authors.

I've share the hottest tool that I'm using right now. And that's Twitter. As you will note on the main page of this Book Marketing Network website, both my http://www.bookmarket.com website and this network have been rising in Alexa ranks (and visits) because of my use of Twitter.

Views: 8350

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alberta,

As always, you're a constant inspiration to all of us. You're building a great platform, step by step, and helping so many people in the process.

Keep us informed! We're behind you!
Thanks, Steve. I have to say, this is my favorite chat room. Believe it or not, even above Twitter or Facebook. Why? because everyone is so honest and helpful. I find all I'm getting from these sites are replies from family in friends
My next favorite site is Linkedin. I get more responses to and from business people, and hopefully, one morning someone will help me move ahead.

My head spins with too many chat rooms. I do need to get organized with a weekly schedule; like: Monday & Wed. only chat room hits, Tues, and Thurs. do my writing and Fri. Sat. & Sun. searching for locations to contact for talks and send my media kits out.

I can't believe how my normal days of being a married woman working has turned my retirement into writing and talks. It shocks even me. Reaching out to schools and businesses soon has me scared. I look calm on the outside but stressed inside. My husband keeps telling me that the more talks I do the more confidence I will have. I'll be glad to drop the notes when I speak. That's why I like a podium when I do. I can hide the papers.

I will keep you updated if something breaks for me.

I love the support!
I have a successful podcast that gets around 2000 listeners per episode. It's a fantastic way to market, though I'm still waiting for the type of sales figures I would expect with a dedicated listenership - they've been OK but should be better. The podcast is called Visionary Artists Podcast - it's on a subject closely related to the thematic core and style of my novel, so the audience is quite targeted. I've been marketing my novel for about a year and quickly realised that you need to create a brand out of yourself. I already had a presence in the psychedelic community (cue gasps) and VAP is now the only podcast in the world devoted to Visionary Art. Note though that the podcast is hosted on a network and as such I started with a decent listenership (about 1000) that I then built up. It's far harder if you start from scratch, but it can be done if you're good at broadcasting. Visit www.beyondthebasin.com to learn more.
Thanks, you give me some ideas.
Hi,

I have two books waiting to become e-books. What does everyone think is a fair price to set them at? I realize they can go from$2 to $9.
You set the price of an ebook low 99 cents to $2.99 if you want to test the market or get more books into people's hands in order to build word of mouth.

If you simply want to make some money from the books, then you might charge up to $9.99, the going rate for most ebooks.

Finally, if you have a perennial seller like my 1001 Ways to Market Your Books, you sell the ebook for the same price as the printed book. No sense in undercutting the value of its content.
I would also add, I would try it at the higher end. If it doesn't sell, then reduce it. I tried my e-book of Children of Dreams at $9.99 but it didnt' sell (on Kindle). I reduced it to $6.99 and it has done much better.
My publisher's contract is no lower than $9.95.
Theresa,

Let us know how video works for you. I bought videos of a couple of TV appearances I made, which are great quality and mention my book in a good way. Good to show other media when they're considering me, but I don't know if I've attracted much attention with them.
My personal experience has been videos do not sell books. But they help to give you name recognition and get pulled up in Google. I think they are important, it's just that the impact is more indirect.
Did the TV spot (was it Animal Planet) work out last Wednesday?
Yes, Animal Planet aired our episode, "Shape Shifters." For anyone who didn't see it, you can watch it on this link: http://lorilynroberts.blogspot.com/
It's on the right-hand side just a little ways down on the page. I thought they did a good job, though the book Children of Dreams from which that part of the story comes is much better:)

Did I sell a lot of books as a result of the show? I don't think so. But all of this builds a platform. Marketing is not a one-shot deal. It's a slow progression up a mountain. Even the turtle eventually arrives.

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service