The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

I have found some pictures I want to include in a book I'm working on, and have contacted the artists. They want to know about my standard contract, and my payment concept. I don't have a standard anything, because I'm very new at this, and I don't know how the payment or royalty thing works between an author and an artist. Can you help me figure this out?

Views: 38

Replies to This Discussion

Are you a ember of scbwi? It would help to do that. If you are wanting to use pictures..make sure they are not copyrighted first of all...meaning that you may have to go with something similar to what you have, but not similar enough to cause a problem.
There are many resources out there...one is Tad Crawford's book Business and Legal forms for Illustrators
http://www.amazon.com/Business-Legal-Forms-Illustrators-Crawford/dp...

Also..check online groups and sites like Harold Underdown's site The Purple Crayon and ask him...and Yellapalooza.

Usually the final art belongs to the illustrator. They are basically creating the art for your book, but retain full rights to the art work. You have the right to use it for your book.

I think that it is very important to be clear on what is expected by you and the illustrator up front as far as how many changes are expected on art...and when the payments will be made. Usually they are made as the job progresses.
Royalties are another issue..As an illustrator, I'm not usually concerned with royalties on a self published book, but I'm not sure about other illustrators. I think joining scbwi would help greatly, since there is a forum there where this topic and any others you'd probably need info on have been covered before and you can ask the generous folks there and they'll answer any questions. There are hundreds of writers and illustrators there with vast experience.
Best to you in your project.

Amy C. MOreno
www.amycullingsmoreno.com
Where would I find this SCBWI, and what does it stand for? Thanks for all your advice. I'll look into the websites today and search for Tad Crawford's book as well. This is exactly the kind of information I wanted. Thanks also for your good wishes.
www.scbwi.org It is the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. It is the best thing out there for anyone wanting to write or illustrate for children.

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service