The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

On Wednesday I took a short trip (5 miles) to one of the larger chain bookstores (BORDERS) and took a chance that the General Manager was in. He wasn't, but I left my buisiness card with the clerk in hopes he would get back to me.

By yesterday I figured it was a waste of time, and all but gave up hope of getting a booksigning at their store.

This morning, around ten o'clock I got a call from their sales manager and wanted to see my book and introduce myself. This afternoon I went to the store and brought a copy for her. She wants to read the book. I can understand, that if they're going to promote an author's presence in their store, for a book reading/signing - they should have some idea what the book is about in order to promote it to the proper age group.

When I met her, I was surprised to see someone so young, maybe in her mid twenties. That's a plus for me, as my book is geared for the teen to young adult age groups.

I should know something by Tuesday, as she'll read it over the weekend, and if she, like everyone else who's read my book, likes it, I'll have a book reading and signing at the same time.

This is a big chain store, and if it's successful, I could get my foot in the door of one major book chain.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Ernie

Views: 7

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ernie,

It sounds like you're doing the right thing by talking to the manager at Borders. Here in Connecticut, all the Borders stores deal with local authors directly, so if I'm gonna try to get into a new store, I've got to talk to that manager and arrange a signing. I'm not sure if it works the same way where you live but suspect it might.

If your books sell well there, talk to the GM about getting you a BINC - a Borders Inventory Control number. A BINC is kind of like an ISBN for Borders exclusively (and this is for the large Borders, NOT Borders Express - They are an entirely different entity). It may take a few weeks to get it, but if you can it will make it much easier for the stores to order your books. Once you have a BINC from one Borders, it's good for any Borders in the world for that title.

Good luck and keep plugging away!

MJ Allaire, YA Fantasy Author
www.mjallaire.com
mjallaire@sbcglobal.net
That is good. I hope you aren't self-published because even if you are on Baker and Taylor they wont stock your book in the stores. And make sure if you get the signing that the local paper knows so they can give you some press about it.
Actually, independent stores are usually glad to stock local authors, especially if they can be assured of returnability.

And if Borders is going to have a signing, they will almost certainly have books on hand, one way or the other.
HI Ernie,

I'll keep my fingers crossed for good news. You never know, this could be the start of something terrific. I look forward to hearing the outcome.

All the best,

Joni Snowden
A Novel Space
anovelspace.com
Wishing you all the best! It's a great start. Did you local newspaper write an article on your novel? They may do it for free, in the Community or Booknook section. Give them a call.

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service