The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

So far not much activity in this group. But I just want to say that although I'm not a fiction writer (except a few short stories), I do admire novelists. They rock!

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

Hey John, Hi Sonya!!

I haven't added the term, "novelists" to my vocabulary yet. I'm still trying to get used to "published author." LOL When I hear "novelists," I think of the classic authors. Someone who lives in some exotic place, with a drink in one hand and a pen in the other who never has to lift a finger except to hit the next key on the keyboard.

Somehow, my life isn't quite there--doubt it ever will be. Friends have asked me where I find time to write. You make it, I tell them. You give things up -- everything except family. I steal a few hours after work every evening and several more on the weekends (between doing laundry and grocery shopping, that is). I have all but given up TV, I hate to admit this, but I've been so busy writing that most of my reading this past year has been for research, the dust bunnies have taken over the house, and during my deadline crunch time this past winter, the crockpot became my best friend.

Seriously though, writing was never a life-long dream. I just stumbled onto it and frankly, I feel very fortunate (blessed) to be where I'm at. It quickly became a passion and now that my novel is published, I see it more as a business. You're right Sonya, we are a crazy bunch.
I like novelists because they create new worlds for us ordinary folks. Worlds we can live in for awhile. Interesting, deadly, boring, exciting, exotic, even normal worlds different from the onces we commonly inhabit. I enjoy the adventure. Novelists rock!
Hi John. I have to admit, but best part of writing a novel is, once it's done, watching and listing to the reactions from readers. Yeah the reviews have been great, but what I'm listenting to is the reader's reaction. I received a call from a co-worker's husband last week who said he had just finished the book. Normally a man of few words talked to me on the phone for 25 minutes about it. He called my Sam Harper character, "A man's detective." That was exactly what I wanted to hear because you have no idea how hard I worked at writing to sound like a man. LOL

While I wrote this story, I became so involved with every aspect of it, the characters, plot, etc. In my heart, I felt it was a good story, but moms are supposed to love their kids, right? But no matter how good we think our work is, there is still that little bit of concern after it's published. Gads! What if they hate me?? So for me, the most gratifying part about writing is how my work affects others and if my writing transport you, John, to another world (and you enjoy yourself) my goal as a "novelists" has been accomplished! ;)
Marta
Sounds like a great novel. I look forward to reading it someday soon.
Thanks John and as I do both, I have to say, short stories are quite a feat unto themselves. You have to be able to tell that story in a much shorter space. Every word counts.

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service