I have been approached by two different small traditional publishers to co-publish my historical novel after I sent them a query. I allowed one of them to send me a contract but in the end decided against the 'deal' as I could self-publish for much less than what I was asked to contribute to the co-publishing deal. I was told I would still have to do much of the marketing. Other than having a 'legitimacy' not always accorded to a self-published author, I just couldn't see myself doing this. Their reasoning on the co-publishing was that I was a new and unknown author with no ready, for sure audience; thus a high risk.
My question is whether or not anyone here has had experience with co-publishing offers and whether or not it worked out for the benefit of the author to do this?
Thanks! I'm new here and like a kid in a candy store! lol
author of Tom P's Fiddle