Whether you are an author who signed with a POD publisher or major publishing house. You have to remember regardless of their marketing budget they don't have the time to give your book the attention it deserves, due to the thousand of books under their house. So it always smart to come up with your own marketing campaign. Here are some basic ways to market your book.
1) Search engine submissions, including online malls and directories
2) Open an online store (Ebay.com, Ioffer.com, etc)
3) According to the subject of your book, seek endorsements from several noted people to put on the book cover.
4) Stop by stores that fit your books subjects and pursuade then to by the book and provide a ready made sales order form. Offer to buy the books back if they could not sell them.
5) Organize a book launch party, find a donor to contribute money for the events fee.
6) Start a mailing list so you can invite everyone you know.
7) You can also buy a mailing list of costumers or readers that are into the book you have written.
8) Send out complimentary copies
9) Market outside or your state to promote your book.
10) Hire a freelance publicist in those cities to help set up media and book signings
11) Pick up a phone and make your pitch about your book
12) Book promotion on social networking sites: Facebook, LinkedIn, Shelfari, Peoples Lounge, My Space
13) Website exposure program (10,000-20,000 hits a day)
14) Submission of links to distribution networks like digg.com, Reddit, de.li.ci.ous, stumbleupon
15) Arrange Virtual Book Tour to include guest spots on blogs, websites, Interviews, link exchanges
16) Arrange radio interviews,
17) Make s business plan, press kit and press release.