The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

I am new to the process of getting a book published. I am working with a colleague on a book on marketing decision-making. Does it make sense to find an agent? A friend sent me to an organization called Agent Research and Evaluation, and they match authors to possible agents. Its like eHarmony for writers! What advice can you give me?

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

David

Having an agent may help but you do not need one to get published in today's environment. I do not know anything about the organization you mentioned but if you are going to choose an agent make sure to look at the details of the contract. Make sure it is clear as to what the agent will do for you and what you will do in the language of the contract. I would also recommend that there be an option to cancel the contract if the actions of the agent is not successful in getting your book published. A contract should also not be for a long term but long enough to afford the agent time to formalize a publishing agreement with a publisher.

There are also many good publishers who are excellent but there are also those who do not deliver on their promises. If you are given the opportunity to sign with a publisher I would carefully check out their contractual terms and the options to cancel if they do not deliver on their promises. I would also ask for opinions from other writers through this network or through other writers forums such as www.writersweekly.com.

Without going into detail I had a bad experience with a publisher and got released from my contract. I have not used an agent but it may be of some help for you. I found my current publisher through the recommendations of other writers and I am pleased with the working relationship that I have and plan on using them for my next book.

Regardless of what publisher you end up having it will be up to you to develop interest in your book and get noticed in the search engines for your topic. In marketing it is important to identify how your book is different from others on the topic. If you do not have a web site I strongly recommend that you create one that gains you exposure for your writing.
I think it depends on the publishers you are planning to target with your proposal. Some will not accept unsolicited proposals unless submitted through an agent. Others provide lists of editors' contact information based on subject area. I would suggest spending a little time looking at the websites of the publishers you are focusing on and seeing what their guidelines are before spending time looking for an agent.
Thank you very much!

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service