The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

Novelists are getting pushed into the minority as non-fiction and reality shows take over the reading/viewing public for the moment. We need to keep our heads above the water line and promote our books with vigor.
I am trying a new technique during June. Many days there is no author signing books in Barnes & Noble or Borders or Title Wave so I am proposing to the special events coordinators at these stores that I just wander in, no publicity, no announcement--I just set up shop with a pile of my books and a smile and start talking to people coming in. I'll let you know how it works.

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

Good luck-Take the Bull by the horn!
I would love to know if this approach works for you, Jim.
Kristie Leigh Maguire
Hi Kristie
Nothing ventured--nothing gained. Try it in your home town. Get ahold of the special events person or the community relations person and convince them that you can sell books in their store. What's the worst that can happen. Spend two afternoons a week doing this for a month and see sales rocket. More later after I try the other stores. May it go well with you. Jim
Been so dang busy promoting the start up of the Alaska Writers Guild and the Alaska Writers Workshop that I have only tried this once for about twenty minutes. The store had purchased another half dozen books so I signed them all, talked to one customer hanging out in the Alaska Fiction section of the store and went to lunch. I'll try more often as July and August come around. I'll post my results. Alaska Jim
Hi Michelle
I don't find it so in Alaska. All stores want to sell books. The space that you use during a signing is not used for much else anyway. I spill a radio ad for three days prior to my signings. Ads customers and interest. I spend about $300 to $500 for radio ads prior to signing. Don't make that on the books, but I am building a big book of readers and I capture names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mails. They WILL know about my future books.
It is less expensive than hiring a PR person. I spent $2,500 on a PR person who got me one (1) book review and no sales and no names. What a waste. May it go well with you. Jim

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service