The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

Since we have such a diversified group of professionals in this network I thought, as a newbie, I would pose a question that I am having with getting my book printed.

I originally had my book in Microsoft Publisher and it was perfect. Then I discovered that format was not accepted by most publishers and printers. So I put it in a Word doc with a template I purchased for a 5.5x8.5 perfect bound, soft cover book. Then I read in Dan Poynter's book what the margins should be. They were different from the template. So I used them. Those make the text look off center. I am sure if I make it into a pdf that it will look that way too.

So my question is: What exactly is the setup/format/margins/gutter/header for a 5.5x8.5 book? This is the only thing keeping me from the printer now.

I hope someone out there can help me. And hopefully (probably to the relief of many of you) this will be my last question. *grin* At least on that part of the book process.

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First, if at all possible, I would NOT use Word for any of the bookblock. Word is a great word processor, but it is not good at typesetting, formatting, kerning, and all of the subtleties that a professional typesetting program does (or can do). Examples of these programs include: InDesign and Quark. Now, that does not mean that Word is not ok, as it will output .pdfs that can then be used to print books. However, there are many things that Word fails on in terms of properly typesetting a document.

As for margins, a standard is the bottom margin at 1 inch, the inside margin at .75, and the top and outside margins at .875. This way, when the book is bound, the inside margins "double" (the two inside margins face each other) giving enough space for binding and look to the eye as the same as the outside margin. The outside margin is larger to allow for thumb space as the person reads the book. The bottom margin is slightly bigger as this tricks the eye into making the text look centered (as we read down, not up).

Peter

Thanks again, Peter for your insights into this world of publishing! I have quark on my computer. (I have a dell and a mac.) I thought quark was just for making webpages. I tried making webpages with that and had to quit and go on the dell with frontpage. I guess this means I have to learn Quark now, doesn't it? *sigh*

Do you think my brain is going to explode from all this information coming into it? I see a book forming for novices. *VBG*
Quark can be used to make webpages, just like Word can. However, I would not recommend it. It is a professional level page layout, design, and typesetting program. For webpages, I use Dreamweaver. Frontpage was good, but Microsoft stopped production of it a couple of years ago and now only maintains "updates." Here is the rundown on programs I use:

Webpages: Dreamweaver
Processsing: Microsoft Word
Artwork: Adobe Photoshop CS3 and Illustrator CS3
Layout and Typesetting: QuarkXPress 7.1
PDFs: Adobe Acrobat Professional 8
Movies: Premiere Pro CS3
Audio: InAudition
Mapping: ArcView 9
DVDs: Adobe Encore

Those are the ones I can think of right now that I use for publishing purposes.

Cheers.

I have Quark XPress 7.02 and Adobe Acrobat Professional 7.0. I have Word: Mac. Those are all on my Mac. The Dell has nothing except Word and Frontpage. Oh, and I have Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop CSS on the Mac, as well. I am printing out what you have to give me an idea as to what type of programs are needed for what.

Thanks, Peter! As always, you are a big help!!!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service