The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

What does freedom of speech mean to you as a writer? Do you feel like your rights are protected in the US?

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Freedom of speech by a writer should be judiciously used by a writer .
As a Journalist I would say is dont hurt people by your comments but
at the same time it should be used where loss of lives are involved .
padma
Freedom of speech as a writer is being able to write on anything in the news without violating copyright laws. It is also the freedom to write on any topic of which you are knowledgeable or have experience. With the Internet we are free to search online and learn about anything and become knowledgeable about it. We as writers can take new approaches to the same subject and make them different either in books or articles. I also feel it is represented to some extent by commenting and/or making suggestions on issues of the day. It is important to note that issues that are involved in judicial cases should have limits but you still have the right to make your comments. Free speech as a writer also involves being truthful about issues.
I think this is the one thing, the very one thing that allows all of us to work. We can say and write what we want to and that is so important and necessary to us as writers. However, with everyone able to do this and the ones who truly have something to say being threatened not to and smeared for the truth more and more often, our rights and liberties are being chipped away. The internet is helpful, but the audiences are still difficult to reach. Our challenge is to unite and support, of course, but also to fight back. Because thankfully writing can also be used to change legislation and change people's minds. It is a great gift we have been given and the freedom of speach is our loyal ally.

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service