The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

I'd like to start a new forum where people can talk about what's working for you right now in marketing your book.

I think this will help other authors to prioritize their activities if they can find out what's working for other people. This would be especially valuable to new authors.

I've share the hottest tool that I'm using right now. And that's Twitter. As you will note on the main page of this Book Marketing Network website, both my http://www.bookmarket.com website and this network have been rising in Alexa ranks (and visits) because of my use of Twitter.

Views: 8358

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought I'd update everyone on my meeting today with Steve Munier the Project Advisor to Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts.  My husband, Al, and I sat down at the conference table and gave our ideas on clauses that we thought could be added to The Patient Privacy Act to help the substance abusers with their recovery programs.

It was a long hour meeting but very promising. Mr. Munier is in charge of the health system.  He surprised me with believing in our plan and wants to introduce them in Washington and have us talk.  He led me to a women about a half hour ride from where we live.  She runs Senator Kerry's other small office.  She wants to hear my story and possibly get me into organizations with my talks on "The Effect of Alcoholism on the Whole Family" after losing a husband and daughter from this disease.

I realize that this will be a lengthy step but we opened the doors to changes. I was always amazed at a person who fought for what they believed would help someone or something and made a difference. I never thought I'd be doing the same thing.  I felt too small to do this.  God really has plans for me and is making me understand the importance of not giving up in what I believe in.

Alberta, That  is awesome. I am glad you are on the right path.

I had a teacher and author at a class I attended about five years ago. He said hard work at promoting and marketing with constantly pushing forward to get known, would take about five years. He's on the nose, it's five years.

Networking can lead to so much. Don't get me wrong, KC, I'm still not that well known. I'm going to call an editor today to see if I can get it into the newspaper.

Thanks for the support.

Steve,

I was thinking to use createspace also.  Do you have any advice/are there any disadvantages for using createspace if you're an Indie author?  Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

David

David,

I've been very impressed with CreateSpace, although I've always hired people locally to do my design and editing, so I can't speak for the quality of their work there. In the past, I've just used them for printing/distribution. Actually, my next book, Sell More Books!, is currently being laid out by CS, so I can let you know how that goes when I get back the review copy.

My wife and I have four books that we've published through CreateSpace and we feel that their quality is indistinguishable from those published by major publishers. You can see one of our books here:

http://www.amazon.com/Enjoy-Your-Money-Make-Invest/dp/098187567X/re...

and another here:

http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Conversations-Favorite-Authors-Learni...

We knew that if our books had the name "CreateSpace" on them, they'd be flagged as self-published and might hinder our ability to get reviews and be taken seriously, so we established our own publishing company (registered with our county, put up a cheap website, bought our own ISBN's from Bowker in the name of our company, looked in a mirror and said "We're publishers"). Now our books are published by Wisdom Creek Press, LLC, which looks much more professional. Although they're printed and distributed through CreateSpace, they don't have CreateSpace anywhere on the books. And we hold the copyrights, so that we can publish it as an e-book or whatever we want.

Feel free to ask any questions you like. I don't work for them or get paid for recommending them, so I'll be objective.

You can talk to them as well. I've been thoroughly impressed with their customer support.

You made a good point. Before publishing, get someone really good at editing to go over your manuscript. Don't rely on Spell and Grammar check.
I've been using Grammarly and the friends and family method.  I've got some good scholars in that department, so I'm fortunate.  Grammarly doesn't measure up to a great editor, I'm sure, but it does help those of us on a budget!

Hi, David,

I am on retirement pay so what I do is this. I cannot afford costly edits anymore and in the past when I had them, I found some to be not that thorough or good.Instead, I have my old boss edit my books and I work for him for free for an equal amount of time.

Ha!  Sounds inventive.  And it sounds like you're keeping busy in retirement!  Good luck Alice, and thanks for the tip.
Alice, Amen to that. An author cannot see his or her own errors. The writer sees what was intended and not what was on the page. And pay for a qualified experienced copy editor. It is worth it. There's nothing worse than having someone say they enjoyed the book but found so many errors that it was distracting.
I am not an Indie author, but I do like CreateSpace. There is great value for the money. CreateSpace gives good profits in this marketplace, and allows the author control of his book as a final product.

Steve,

Thanks for your thoughtful response.  It sounds like you've been happy with Createspace, and you've also given me some other things to think about.  (Being taken seriously when I self publish.)  I'm a complete newb in publishing.

Question:  Would you have set up your own publishing company if you were self-publishing your first book, and, if so, how would you address the decidedly sparse amount of books published under that label?

I admire your ingenuity, Steve and plan to go check out Wisdom Creek Press.  Thanks again.

db 

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service