The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

In your opinion, which is the best literary agency in USA, UK, Canada, or Australia, for fantasy books?

Views: 11

Replies to This Discussion

I have not an answer :) I live in Italy!
No, there is no Amazon in Italy. We have local brands: IBS, BOL, and others.
Maria Carvainis Agency is not for fantasy.
I got one answer yet, but it is negative. The real problem is that in USA nobody is interested to foreign authors unless they are *VERY* famous. :(
First of all, thank you for your kind words. Well, I am glad to share anything what I can. I already published 5 books, so I am not really a new author, and I have published them with known publishers. I also published hundreds articles on magazines and newspapers, but all in Italian language (http://www.dejudicibus.it/pubblicazioni/)

However they are middle size publishers: they have no budget for promoting all books. In Italy, more than 60% of books are just translation of foreign books, because it is less expensive and less risky for publishers. This is penalizing native writers. So I have to promote myself...

This is what I did. First of all I designed a Flash site for my last novel (http://www.lalamanera.it) I was interviewed by many fanzine and magazines, and also by a couple of radio channels. Then I printed bookmarks that have been distributed by free to hundreds of bookshops. That's all. I have no money to do more.
Sorry, no. I write in Italian only. Of course I know a little bit of English, but not so good to write an high quality book, and I do not like to write low quality works. I am very careful when I write and I have a strong knowledge of my own language. Writing is just like composing music: it is not only a matter of content. You do not write just words, but sounds, tastes, colours... You need a perfect control of a language to do it. That's the problem: I have not enough money to translate my books at the quality level I wish (I would need from 3000 to 7000 euro per book). Anyway, thank you for your offer. I probably was born in the wrong country :) Nobody in the world read Italian language.
OK; thank you. I'll do.
Richard Curtis out of New York. But it's difficult for foreign authors to get representation in NA. You could also work with an Italian agency like ARR Literary, that does fantasy and has US based partnerships with agents to sell into the NA market.
Well, I tried 26 of the most famous literary agencies in US, UK, Canada and Australia who are interested to fantasy. None of them is interested to evaluate a foreign author even if I translate few chapters in English and even if I am a published authors. The reason is simple: most of marketing is not based on quality of book, but on the ability to sell the author's image, and an oversea author is too far to be really of any use... :( (note that for UK publishers an European author *is* oversea!)
It's true. It's very difficult. I've got a few overseas based authors and keeping their books alive is much more difficult here. And getting the books available for sale over there - almost impossible. Makes it much less fun for the author, and the publisher.

Smaller houses may consider it, but you won't see much in the way of sales. But if it's about breaking into the market and showing you've got staying power, well then small press isn't a bad route. And they don't require agents :)
What do you mean by "small" press? I mean, English and non-English markets are quite different. English language is read in many countries, whereas Italian language is read mostly in Italy, Vatican, San Marino, Monaco, Switzerland, Somalia, and Argentina (some in Brazil and France). So I expect that small English publishers are bigger than Italian ones. In Italy a small publisher sells usually 2.000 books per title per year. Is that the same in USA or UK?
Hi Dario

First of all, there are no "fantasy agencies" There are fantasy PUBLISHERS and fantasy-minded AGENTS, but agencies almost never specialize like that. What you normally find is that of a few people in an agency, one likes fantasy books. So you search for them as such.

Here's the thing, publishers and agents are swamped with MS's and are trying to identify the ones that smell like money...and that they personally enjoy. A book in Italian just doesn't have that smell about it for them. Let me suggest that you try to publish it in Italy and use success there to try to sell American rights.
Here is a list of some Italian publishers of fantasy, horror, etc.
http://www.fantascienza.com/catalogo/

When they say "small press", they are probably these days referring to the new wave of POD publishers who work primarily off the internet stores like amazon.com and selling eBooks. There are no fotures to be made there, but it's easier to get publshed.

Beyond that there is straight-out self-publishing like lulu.com. Guaranteed publication, but it costs a couple of hundred dollars and is hard to make money because the books are expensive to buy. But cheaper than press runs.

What are the chances of you and other Italian writers forming a press together? You can print at Lightning Source, then, get the books cheaper. Pool the expense. Create an anthology.

This business is tough enough as it is, but the language thing makes it really rough for you. On the other hand, it's been done. Jerzy Kosinsky learned English as he was writing his first books and one won the national book awards. Joseph Conrad was not a native English speaker, but many considered him one of the finest prose stylists in English.

Your English doesn't look so bad from here. Perhaps you could use your "accent" to advantage with the right story. (An accent didn't stop Arnold Schwartzenegger :-)

Good luck

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service