The Book Marketing Network

For book/ebook authors, publishers, & self-publishers

Do you think the TV series CSI has had an impact on real-life criminal prosecutions? Some people have told me that many jurors and potential jurors now feel that with the current technology, the defendant's guilt can be conclusively proved and the "beyond a reasonable doubt" bar has been raised.

Denny

Views: 19

Replies to This Discussion

I would agree with that statment, Dennis. I do think, however, that the show gets some peoples expectations of what ALL police agencies can do. When it's a small department it's harder to get thorough investigations done. Not saying they don't do their best, but they lack training and equipment.
Great topic!

Richard
Richard,

That's my take, too. I hope we don't start letting a lot of dangerous criminals loose because jurors now expect there should be "no doubt" about guilt.

Along the same line, it scares and frustrates me to listen to the news and learn about the number of people who have been accused of violent crimes and end up right back on the streets. It seems that in some cases the prosecutors don't ask for high enough bail or no bail. Even when they do, some judges set the bond lower than what was requested. So we end up with thugs that should be behind bars or have been deported, out there preying on the innocent.

Denny
While it's been many years (18) since I was in law enforcement, the old saying "...once a cop always a cop..." holds true to an extent. I think we needn't concern ourselves too much with prosecutors not being able to make cases. My greatest concern, however, is when innocent people are convicted of crimes they didn't commit. When push comes to shove it still remains that the criminal justice system is dependent upon "truth". When testimony and evidence are steeped in lies, half-truths, and fabrication it becomes difficult to determine guilt or innocence. While the "CSI Effect" may have a bearing in some cases, it remains that good counsel is the prime ingredient. Juries are still people and like all people, they bring to the table their individual ideas and expectations. Until a different and better system comes to light, we will have to make due with what we have.

Be well,
William

RSS

© 2024   Created by John Kremer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service